Monday, February 20, 2006

“Behind the scenes” – Conditioning regimen for Jameel McCline

By “Strength and Conditioning Guru” Dave “Scooter” Honig

A goal for Jameel was to improve his overall strength and conditioning. The purpose of the routine I outlined for Jameel in his fight against Shannon Briggs had the following results:

CYCLE 1: BASE PERIOD - increase in general strength and power.

CYCLE 2: PREP PERIOD – increase in explosive strength and power


CYCLE 3: PRE-FIGHT PERIOD – sports specific exercises

CYCLE 4: PEAK PERIOD - circuit training incorporating everything

(Each cycle should last 2-3 weeks)

My plan for the beginning of camp was to get Jameel as strong as possible. Towards the middle of this eight-week period we turned his strength into explosive power. This transformed everything into harder explosive punching power. I accomplished this by moving the weights on some of his exercises at a faster speed. I then introduced additional sports specific boxing movements using rubber tubing to increase resistance while punching and the medicine ball. The medicine ball brought more ballistic movement. I then had Jameel use a weighted medicine ball for all throws. By the conclusion of camp, the medicine ball was heavier. Jameel then began doing exercises with more repetitions in a shorter time period.

In conjunction with rubber tubing, I incorporated different plyometric exercises to increase Jameel’s explosive power in his legs. The legs are a crucial part of a fighter’s arsenal. Jameel’s are very strong, but he now has greater agility. This was accomplished by using weighted vests and various plyometric-bounding exercises with and without the vest. I also added different jumps, which advanced his leg strength and stamina. Explosive push-ups and repetitive exercises using the medicine ball, plyometric work, and tubing resulted in more power and endurance.

NOTE: Every work-out should be geared to each fighter’s strengths and weaknesses. It should be specific towards each opponent.

*** Dave “SCOOTER” Honig has been a conditioning expert in the sport of boxing for over 15 years. He has worked with fighters including: Jameel McCline, Vivian Harris, Zab Judah, Kathy Collins, Oleg Maskev, Robert Allen, and Dimitri Salita.

8 Comments:

Blogger The Mighty Moe said...

Do you have any idea what Fernando Vargas' training routine is. It seems to me that he has increased his strength, but has has lost a lot of speed. Either that, or simply by comparison he looked slow against Mosley. But, when Vargas beat Winky Wright, I remember him looking much faster ... even though he was out of shape for that fight.

--Mighty Moe

P.S. I'm adding you to my links.

2:54 am BST  
Blogger Maf said...

Yeah, I have a copy of his workout somewhere in a book. He may have made slight changes since with his new trainer. I agree that he was definitely faster when he beat Winky back in the days.

I think the main factors are the fact that he is knocking on a bit and he was an early bloomer, so they fizzle out earlier too. It's not the age of the car, but the miles on the clock!

He is also somewhat a shot fighter, because the two losses aginst big opponents came way too early in his career. He also had no time to recover before the second KO defeat.

12:41 am BST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

great blog very useful

12:50 am BST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wassup...good site...
if you want to have adult chat or to watch [url=http://map7996129.camdoors.info]adult webcam[/url] folllow this link.
Good luck!

9:04 pm GMT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It can be interesting !
video [URL=http://hotpoint-fridge-freezers.obfw.info/]hotpoint fridge freezers[/URL] photo
Bye

2:22 am GMT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

[color=#58a][u]Very nice site! Visit and my place: [/u][/color]
[URL=http://free-adult-dating-chat-48281sf6.drozdyonok.org/]free adult dating chat[/URL]

1:30 pm BST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

HI! Your forum is very interessing and my information will be good for you (I hope):)
[URL=http://anal-sex-movies.domaintraf.com]anal sex movies[/URL]
[URL=http://gaping-anal-sex.trafroute.com]gaping anal sex[/URL]
[URL=http://extreme-anal-sex.kissthisass.com]extreme anal sex[/URL]
[URL=http://anal-painful-sex.privateinn.com]anal painful sex[/URL]
[URL=http://anal-porn-sex.guaero.com]anal porn sex[/URL]
[URL=http://galleries-anal-sex.domaintraf.com]galleries anal se

6:36 pm BST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bush is forever saying that democracies do not invade other countries and start wars. Well, he did just that. He invaded Iraq, started a war, and killed people. What do you think? Why has bush turned our country from a country of hope and prosperity to a country of belligerence and fear.
If ever there was ever a time in our nation's history that called for a change, this is it!
The more people that the government puts in jails, the safer we are told to think we are. The real terrorists are wherever they are, but they aren't living in a country with bars on the windows. We are.

5:28 pm BST  

Post a Comment

<< Home